Friday, June 1, 2012

Life's a Beach



Ask anyone who knows me well and they will tell you that I love metaphors…and beaches. So the phrase “Life’s a beach” may be my favorite as it is a metaphor about a beach. I see them everywhere, but especially while I’m at the beach. 

The last time I was here there were almost no waves. It did not appear that there was much happening based on what I could see. But as I sat and listened, the one who filled the oceans reminded me that just below the surface fish were swimming, plants were growing, seashells were being formed. Once again He said to me “Your ability to see life is not necessary for it to exist.”  Remember faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things NOT seen. (Heb. 11:1)

I see waves as a metaphor for God’s voice. And just as they never stop crashing onto the shoreline, He never stops speaking. I always think the sound is beautiful from my balcony. However the closer I get, I realize I wasn’t fully hearing the strength and intensity of each wave. God’s voice is like that. When I walk right next to Him, I hear more clearly and understand the intense desire of His heart.

 ‘How precious are the thoughts you think of me. Can anybody count them? They are greater than the sands by the sea”. This song lyric makes think of how the sand gets into places I didn’t know it could reach. His thoughts of me are that way too…reaching unexpected places deep in my heart.  The sand also exfoliates the rough spots on my feet and gently removes the paint on my toes. And when I become aware of His thoughts of love for me, the things I’ve tried to make look pretty are purified and the rough places in my soul are made smooth.

The seabirds are also interesting. Today I watched young seagulls fly near the shoreline where small fish could be caught and swallowed as they flew off. They were learning so repetition was a necessity. The large brown pelicans flew elegantly over much deeper water. Their dive was deeper, and their catch was larger. After catching they sat on top of the water to digest their meal before returning to the air. Just like these birds, when I was young, it took some practice, but small words from Him sustained me and tasted like honey. As I matured in my relationship with God my desire for deeper truths increased and sometimes when He speaks, I need to take a minute to digest what I heard.

Just like most people, I come to the beach to unplug, unwind and chill out. My body synchronizes very easily to the rhythms of beach life. And I find that when I am relaxed, I hear very easily what my creator is speaking to me through one of His most beautiful creations.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you blogged more often because your writing blesses my socks off! I appreciate your sharing your heart. Even though I have been a Christian for probably longer than you are alive, I learn from your writing. You give me a different perspective on things and I thank you for that. Again, I wish that you blogged more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Melanie. You're too sweet. I just seem to always think that my thoughts aren't unique enough. Then if I do put them to paper I obsess over each word b/c I want it to be 'just right'. I didn't do that with this piece and I posted it before I re-read it too much and began changing things all up! Thanks so much for your encouragement. It means more to me than you know. =D

      Delete