Saturday, March 5, 2011

Road Construction Ahead

And so, apparently there was a huge clearance sale in my little corner of the globe on large, plastic, orange and white barrels. You know, the ones that pop up over night and force traffic that flowed freely the day you had all the time in the world to creep at a snails pace on one of those rare 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad' days. Suddenly it seems that no major thoroughfare is without them. Medians are being constructed, roads are being widened, turn lanes are being added...all intended to make our lives easier.

THE road that leads to my home is a pot-hole infested, shoulder-less, two-lane, asphalt nightmare. From where I live it really is the ONLY logical way to and from the primary shopping areas. We were told 8 years ago that within 2 years it would be developed into a 5 lane concrete wonder. Perhaps they were talking 'dog years' and failed to mention that to us. So a few months ago we were thrilled when we finally began seeing signs of potential road construction. First it was the appearance of randomly placed culverts that will be burried underground to prevent flash floods. Next a tractor appeared and sat in one spot for several weeks. Tire tracks from large trucks began leaving grooves in the dry grass and then they began moving dirt. Every day I watch as I drive alongside the barreled/fenced off construction zone looking for some sign of significant progress. And while I can tell work is being done, it just seems to be happening so slowly that it's hard to picture the completed road.

One day as I bounced from one pothole to the next, straining to see some measurable difference from the day before, I heard the Holy Spirit say "Ya know, this is a great metaphor for your life right now." So I turned down my 80's dance music, curbed the serious head bobbing and said "Please, please tell me now. Is there something I should know?". He chuckled at my smart aleck Duran Duran reference and explained how there were a few areas in my life that would soon be 'under construction'. He drew parallels between the bumpy old road and some of the ways I relate to others. A few of the 'roads' that I've built have served a purpose but have, over time, become riddled with broken spots on which I've placed quick fixes that ultimately make my journey unpleasant and at times difficult to navigate. His loving words and gentleness melted my defensiveness as He shared His vision for the new 'ways' and 'lanes' He wanted to help me develop. Well constructed pathways that allowed for a smooth ride, were filled with light, and clear boundaries. As I approached a large pile of building material that had been delivered weeks ago and had not been moved, He told me there might be days when it appears that no work is being done. But that my ability to 'see progress' as I defined it, was not required for it to exist. Freshly moved dirt takes time to settle and newly poured concrete must 'set up' in order to withstand future traffic.

He reminded me that there ARE other physical roads to and from where I need to go. They make the trip longer and are not as convenient as the old, familiar road, but they are pot-hole free which is good for the alignment of my vehicle. Oh...I start to catch on... I do KNOW other relational paths to take, but they are unfamiliar and unsettling. But if I begin to take those paths, I'll be more 'aligned' and ready to roll when the construction is over. I sensed his pleasure as I opened my heart to see the beauty in the dirt and rebar and quiet tractors and seeming pile of junk that would all be used to make a way, a better way, for me to get to where I need to go.

Apparently the metaphors are endless because even as I write He's showing me new parallels. And because of that I'm learning to be grateful for all of those orange/white barrels instead of focusing on the pot-holes and getting frustrated by the inconvenience. They have become symbols of His work in my heart. Yes, there are moments that I lose perspective and grow weary, but He is faithful and provides the encouragement I need in countless ways.

And as I finish writing this I'm hearing a song in my head, no doubt placed there by Him...'Don't Stop Believing' by 'Journey'.

How appropriate! =D

2 comments:

  1. GREAT and timely blog Bethani!! but I also want to talk about our literal road that you mentioned...WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING??? Have you heard if this current construction is part of the widening we are all dreaming of? Ok that's all. Glad I found your blog. :)
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He told me there might be days when it appears that no work is being done. But that my ability to 'see progress' as I defined it, was not required for it to exist. Freshly moved dirt takes time to settle and newly poured concrete must 'set up' in order to withstand future traffic."

    OH girl! Just know a fella' sista out there is getting ya more than you know! Yikes! So good Bethani ... I know I was supposed to hear it the way you said it.

    I looked at the "new" road God asked me to walk in this season ... it was a harder road, a road I've never traveled and more than that it looked a lil' lonelier ... the more I walked down it I realized I wasn't lonely because more of His presence was there!

    Cheers in the journey my beloved friend!

    This resonated w/ me and encouraged me deeply ... keep writing!

    Great Love! ~Ris

    ReplyDelete